• telephone number;
• payment details (Direct Debit, credit/debit card number);
• billing address
• email address
(together, the "Personal Information").
It is also intended to assist You in making informed decisions when using our Website and our products and services. Please take a minute to read and understand the policy.
All Your Personal Information shall be held and used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”). If You want to know what Personal Information we collect and hold about You, please write to us at:
British Society of Magazine Editors.
137 Hale Lane
British Society of Magazine Editors is the data controller of Your Personal Information for the purposes of the Act.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
When You visit our Website You may provide us with the following types of information:
• Personal Information, as listed above, that You provide to us on an individual basis during Registration or when posting comments in the Forum [and Blog] section[s] of the Website. In addition, if You choose to correspond with us by email, we may retain the content of Your email messages together with Your email address and our responses; and
• website use information collected as You and others browse our Website.
We maintain the highest standards of security, however the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. So, whilst we will do our best to protect Your Personal Information, we cannot ensure the security of information transmitted to our Website by You. Any transmission is at Your own risk. Once we have received Your Personal Information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
Email is not recognised as a secure medium of communication. For this reason, we request that You do not send Personal Information to us by email.
Similar to other commercial websites, our Website utilises a standard technology called “cookies” (see the explanation below, “What Are Cookies?”) and web server logs to collect information about how our Website is used. Information gathered through cookies and web server logs may include the date and time of visits, the pages viewed, time spent at our Website, and the websites visited just before and just after our Website.
We, our advertisers and ad serving companies may also use small pieces of code called “web beacons” or “clear gifs” to determine which advertisements and promotions users have seen and how users responded to them.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
A cookie is a very small text document, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier. When You visit a website, that site’s computer asks Your computer for permission to store this file in a part of Your hard drive specifically designated for cookies. Each website can send its own cookie to Your browser if Your browser’s preferences allow it, but (to protect Your privacy) Your browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has already sent to You, not the cookies sent to You by other sites.
HOW DO WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM COOKIES?
As You browse on our Website, the Website uses its cookies to differentiate You from other users in order to prevent You from seeing unnecessary advertisements or requiring You to log in more than is necessary for security. Cookies, in conjunction with our web server’s log files, allow us to calculate the aggregate number of people visiting our Website and which parts of the Website are most popular. This helps us gather feedback in order constantly to improve our Website and better serve our customers. Cookies do not allow us to gather any Personal Information about You and we do not generally store any Personal Information that You provided to us in Your cookies.
HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION THAT YOU PROVIDE TO US?
We use Your Personal Information in the following ways:
• to ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for You and Your computer;
• to notify You about any changes to our service;
• in accordance with Your authorisation as expressed via ‘opt-ins’ at the point of Registration;
We may pass Your Personal Information to other third party organisations:
• if we buy or sell any business or assets in which case we may disclose Your Personal Information to the seller or buyer of such business or assets;
• if we are under a duty to disclose or share Your Personal Information to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements or protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
Please note that by posting any Personal Information in any publicly accessible area of the Website such as the Blog, such Personal Information may be viewed and collected by third parties over which we have no control. We are not responsible for the use of Personal Information by such third parties. Please therefore exercise all due care and consideration before disclosing any Personal Information that will be accessible on public areas. We strongly recommend all Registered Users keep postings anonymous and avoid disclosing Personal Information that may be used to identify You.
HOW CAN YOU ACCESS AND CORRECT YOUR INFORMATION?
You may request access to all Your Personal Information that we collect online and maintain in our database by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION