WHAT ARE THE AWARDS?
The biggest and most glamorous event in every editor’s diary. A who’s who of the country’s leading editors, all come together every November, together with many of their publishers, editorial and advertising team members, to honour the best in British magazines.
THE DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS WEDNESDAY, 26 JULY 2017
- Edit, Art Direct or be in charge of content for a print and/or digital title. You don’t need to be a BSME member
- Have edited your brand for a minimum of six months during the period 1 August 2016 to 31 July 2017.
- If your title has launched since 1 April 2016 you must enter Launch category.
- To enter the Launch category you must be the editor responsible for the launch and have edited for four months during the period 1 April 2016 to 31 July 2017
- Only submit material that you have edited
- Acting editors and acting art directors may not enter and periods spent as acting editor will not be considered
- Content must be published in English and edited and published in the UK
- Print titles must be published a minimum of twice yearly
- Only digital editions produced by British companies and organisations are eligible
- Branded Content titles may compete in a different Editor of the Year category if they feel it is more appropriate, but the reason must be clearly explained
COST OF ENTERING
- There is an administration charge of £110 + VAT for each entry
- If you were NOT a member of the BSME on 1 June 2017, the cost to enter is £220 + VAT per person per entry, which includes temporary membership of the Society until the end of 2017. Please note this does not entitle you to enter the 2018 Talent Awards at the BSME member rate
- If you work on an Independent Brand the cost is £99 + VAT per entry
- Entries must be accompanied by credit card details or a cheque made payable to The British Society of Magazine Editors. For BACS payments, please contact the BSME office on 020 8906 4664. Please note that entries will not be processed until payment has been received.
- There is no charge to make a nomination for the Editors’ Editor of the Year category
- To pay online, please click here
- Student magazines are not eligible
- Should a magazine, digital edition or App be suspended, closed or closing prior to the Awards Dinner on 21 November 2017, the entry will be withdrawn
- The BSME reserves the right to re-allocate or refuse entries where appropriate and will inform the editor/s of the brand/s concerned
- The decision of the BSME Committee is final and feedback is not given
- For all awards, members of the panel of judges are excluded from entering any magazine, digital edition or App they edit on a day-to-day basis. If they are an editor-in-chief of a title and there is another named editor, that editor may enter, but the editor-in-chief will not judge this category
- Editorial judges are eligible to be nominated for the Editors’ Editor of the Year Category
- If you edit or art direct more than one title, you may enter each title
- Digital editors may submit an entry based on more than one project if they wish
- You may enter a brand in only one Editor of the Year category but in any number of other categories.
- If you are entering more than one award, please ensure that you submit a complete set of material for each entry
**To qualify for the Independent Publishers rate you must publish no more than a few core titles and the financial and creative decisions must be made by the same person/people
The Criteria for entering are listed under each category. In essence, awards will be given to the entrant whose brand, in the judges’ opinion, has achieved and maintained within its market sector consistently high editorial quality in terms of ideas, words, design, contributors, illustration and photography. Entrants must demonstrate success in communicating with their audience and show how the brand has developed editorially or creatively during the year OR been consistently excellent and appropriate for their readership. Commercial success forms part of the overall picture but circulation figures are not of primary consideration.
HOW TO ENTER
It’s simple to enter. Just:
1. Complete and print the entry form included with each category
2. Pay online, send a cheque with your entry or call the BSME office to pay by BACS
3. Make the required number of completed copies (stated on each entry form); retain one for your records and send the others to the BSME with the relevant supporting material and payment
4. To nominate in the Editors’ Editor category simply submit a nomination on the Editors’ Editor page
5. Mark your entry ‘BSME Awards’; add the name of the brand you are entering and send it to:
BSME Administration, Gill Branston & Associates, 137 Hale Lane, Edgware, Middlesex HA8 9QP
- Entries will be accepted only between 10.00am and 4.00pm, Monday to Friday
- Incomplete entries will not be processed
- Please print your entries on regular A4 paper, unbound, and do not submit any material on art paper
- Entries and supporting material will not be returned.
THE 2017 BSME AWARDS JUDGES
This year, the BSME Committee will be shortlisting and judging entries. For all awards, The Committee are excluded from judging any magazine, digital edition or App they edit on a day-to-day basis.
Cover of the Year awards are judged by YOU – the attendees on the night!